Camping & Leadership
Camping and Leadership Development
Since the mid 1970s, Camping has been a major attraction for hundreds of children and young people from the city. Nature, open spaces, living in tents, community living and activities, and adventure, sports and games – the benefits from camping activities have been many and varied. With the newly developed Camp Lakeside at Nilshi, the entire camping and leadership development programme has taken a giant step forward.Camping programme are now organized throughout the year.
For latest update on Camp please visit: www.ymcacamplakeside.org
Dining Hall, Tents & Rooms, Conference Facilities
Camps for Schools, Camps for Colleges & Institutions, Adventure Training, Trekking, Rock Climbing, Rappeling, Kayaking, Swimming, Campouts, Cookouts, Archery, Target Shooting, Horse Riding, Mountain Biking, Corporate Outbound Training, Retreats and Seminars, Family Camps and Outings, Fresh air Camps for Underprivileged Children
- Camping was initiated by student YMCA by organising a students’ camp at Lonavla in 1911 with fifty Christian Students from colleges and higher classes in schools.
- These camps proved to be of great significance in the lives of these boys as it provided them experience in community living that would prove to be useful in later life.
- A similar camp was held the following year at the same place. Then it became an annual feature.
- In the 1960s, camping activities was renewed again with greater vigour and came to be broad based to include not only Christians but all young people.
- Boys Camps were initiated by Stanley Karkada.
- The first Camp was held at Junnar in October 1975.
- Thirty eight boys from Bombay School attended this leadership development camp which became a role model for many such camps which have become a regular feature.