The Student’s branch, one of the first branches of the Bombay YMCA, is a hub of year round activity, with hostelites pitching in to provide a family atmosphere. Numerous programmes conducted for the hostelites also adds to the flavour of the branch, as a Centre bursting with activity.
The Library at the branch has been ever popular and has catered to the needs of the students residing there, as also the members who use the facilities. With the resumption of use of the ground floor hall, the number of facilities at the branch have increased.
Hostel for Students, Library & Study Room
Table Tennis, Carrom and Chess, Counseling Center
|Table Tennis||7am to 1pm, 4pm to 9pm||All days except Sunday afternoon||7 and above||YMCA Membership|
|Table Tennis Coaching||1/2 hr only between. 9am to 11am & 4pm to 8pm||Twice in a week Tue & thur||Above 7 yrs||/- pm|
|Carrom||7am to 1pm, 4pm to 9pm||All days except Sunday afternoon||7 and above||YMCA Membership|
|Chess||7am to 1pm, 4pm to 9pm||All days except Sunday afternoon||7 and above||YMCA Membership|
|Library & Reading room||7 am to 1 pm, 2 pm to 10 pm||All days except Sunday afternoon||Above 15 yrs||YMCA membership plus Rs./ -pm, Rs./- 3 months, Rs./- 6 months, Rs./- pa|
|Counseling||5pm to 7pm
4pm to 7pm
3pm to 5pm
|—||/- per session
/- career counseling per person (prior appointment)
STUDENT BRANCH HOSTEL ADMISSION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR THIS ACADEMIC YEAR 2016-17
Format for Hostel application when available: HostelApplForm
For details on the application process, click on the link Student Branch Application Process
Once your application is approved you will be allotted a GUEST seat. The charges will be as follows:
MEMBERSHIP: Rs./- valid for 1 year.
Short term Guest Accommodation for Interns: Rate Rs. / -per day.
Regular Guest Accommodation: Rate Rs. / -per day. (Rs./- for the month.)
Caution Money Deposit Rs./- (Refundable)
Contribution to Corpus: Rs./-(Non Refundable)
Once there is a vacancy in a Term seat you will be transferred and the charges will be as follows:
Term Seat Accommodation Rate
Rs./- per day (4 and 5 seater ) Rs./- for term of 3 months approx.
Rs./- per day (3 seater) Rs./- for term of 3 months approx.
Rs./- per day (2 seater) Rs./- for term of 3 months approx
The mess facility is compulsory. Being a self-managed mess, one of the Residents is elected to manage the mess. The deposit is Rs./- (Refundable) +Rs./- Reserve & Amenities Fund. (TOTAL Rs./-)
The monthly bill is calculated on a cost-sharing basis
Facilities & Activities: you will be provided a Bed, Table, Chair and Cupboard.
Toilets are common. A local laundry man’s services are available.
Being a YMCA member, the library and reading room facility is available and games such as Table Tennis, Carom, Chess and other activities are organized from time to time.
FOR SHORT TERM GUESTS: Internship, the mess facility is optional.
The following should be included in the local guardian undertaking letter: I undertake to meet all financial responsibilities of the applicant as per Hostel rules and shall be responsible for all matter related to the proper conduct and discipline of the applicant
HISTORY STUDENTS BRANCH
- Work among the students in Bombay was started, under the College Department, in a rented building in Girgaon Road in 1896 under the leadership of Frank Anderson, the College Secretary.
- The well stocked Reading Room was used daily by about 60 students.
- The programme included public lectures, debates and magic lantern talks.
- At the turn of the century, the need for a building from which could radiate student activities to the four corners of the city was strongly felt and a search for a suitable plot instituted.
- In August 1909, a plot of land 996 sq. yards in area, ‘at the corner of Girgaon Back Road and the new extension of Chunam Kin Lane to Sandhurst Road’, was purchased at a public auction from the City Improvement Trust.
- The foundation stone of the building was laid on April 14, 1910 by the Governor of Bombay.
- During the year 1908, a new Branch was established as an extension of the CMS Hostel at Dhanji Street. Membership was entirely Indian Christian and the language Marathi. Members were mostly from the factories.
- To begin with there were 25 members and the programme was educational and religious.
- In 1909, Dhanji Street was changed to Proctor Road. The Branch merged itself with the Student Branch when it was opened at Lamington Road in 1910.
412, Dr. Bhadkamkar Marg
Mumbai – 400 007
Tel: +91 22 2382-4534 / 2385-5468,